We knew it since quite some days now that the petrol prices will be adjusted towards global prices. Today the prices you will pay to fill petrol in August have been released.
The Ministry of Energy’s fuel pricing committee, which includes representatives from each of the fuel companies, set the new price on Tuesday afternoon. A new price linked to rises and falls in the global market will be set from now onwards on the 28th of each month.
While petrol in general got around 25% more expensive the price of diesel, on the other hand, has been reduced to Dh2.05/l. Diesel currently retails at Dh2.90/l in Dubai and the northern emirates, including Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah. The current price of diesel in Abu Dhabi is Dh2.35/l.
What do you think about the new prices? Will it effect you majorly? Sound off in the comments!
The weekend is there and we got plenty of things going on. Eid starts today so for some it will be only a normal weekend while others eventually win a day or two extra on it. It is the last day of Ramadan at The Walk today so you might want to visit this. As well we got finally plenty of new Movies rolling in. Another must watch is surely the Eid Fireworks at The Beach in the next three days.
Yesterday Global Petrolprices has released the latest list of the countries with the cheapest and most expensive petrol prices in the world.
According to Global Petrol Prices, a company providing data on retail fuel prices around the world, the average price of gasoline around the world was 4.15AED per liter as of June 29, 2015, almost two-and-a-half times of what we pay for a liter of petrol here in the UAE. That given it is not a big surprise that many people are enjoying to drive big cars with even bigger engines over here. But let’s look at some countries of the ranking:
|Rank||Country||Price per Liter|
|3||Saudi Arabia||0.59 AED|
|167||United Kingdom||6.77 AED|
|170||Hong Kong||7.29 AED|
Looking at this we are still very lucky here with the prices even being on the higher side of the Middle East. This list makes as well pretty clear why Germany has mainly diesel or engines with a low fuel consumption as the price is very high and almost hard to afford. What is your point on this? Sound off in the comments!
Check out the full list on the official website [LINK].
Again it is weekend time and we put together some of the things you can do on this weekend. We got quite some Movie Releases out this week where I am the most looking forward for Mad Max: Fury Road. Review tomorrow on the Blog! Jumeirah Restaurant Week is as well on and surely worth trying.
If you want to have some Movie Quiz and Movie Themed fun you surely don’t want to miss the Vox Cinemas Voscars on Saturday!
It is finally again weekend and the hotter it gets the less Things to do are available outdoors. My plan for this weekend is to head down to the Maifest and to watch Hor Pursuit. There are still quite some things to do this weekend in addition to that.
That went quite fast. Just recently the White version of the BlackBerry Classic was released in the UK and today it was released in the UAE already! The white colored BlackBerry Classic is available now at the BlackBerry Store in the Dubai Mall and leading telecom retail stores for a price of 1799 AED.
I really think about getting the white one as addition to the black Classic, Passport and Leap…
BlackBerry Classic now available in white in the United Arab Emirates
New Color Offers Greater Choice to Productive Mobile Professionals Looking for a Familiar QWERTY Design Merged with the Security and Speed of BlackBerry 10
Dubai, UAE – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced that a white color version of the BlackBerry® Classic™ smartphone is now available in the UAE. The no-nonsense smartphone is built to meet the needs of productive people who appreciate the speed and accuracy that can be found with a physical QWERTY keyboard. The white colored BlackBerry Classic is available today at the BlackBerry store in the Dubai Mall and leading telecom retail stores for a suggested retail price of 1799 AED.
Ron Louks, President, Devices and Emerging Solutions at BlackBerry, said: “The introduction of the BlackBerry Classic in white offers yet another color choice to users who desire a stylish smartphone, yet understand the need for a mobile business tool that keeps them productive and securely manages their information.”
The BlackBerry Classic upgrades the BlackBerry® Bold 9900 experience with:
- Three times faster browser
- 60 percent more screen space
- 50 percent longer battery life
- Greater variety of applications through BlackBerry® World® storefront and the Amazon Appstore
Top features of the BlackBerry Classic that drive productivity, communications and collaboration include:
- BlackBerry® Keyboard & Trackpad – The QWERTY keyboard has stood the test of time as the iconic BlackBerry feature that users know and trust. Crafted for optimal speed and accuracy, the BlackBerry Classic’s QWERTY keyboard gives users the control and confidence to communicate quickly and clearly using one hand with a trackpad and classic navigation keys.
- BlackBerry® Browser – The BlackBerry 10 web browser is amazingly fast and astoundingly beautiful. That’s why HTML5TEST.com rates it amongst the top mobile browsers for web fidelity.* Access your favorite online content as it was meant to be seen, faster than ever before and with unlimited browser tabs.
- Screen & Battery – The BlackBerry Classic offers a form factor optimized for power communicators with a 3.5-inch touch screen display, 294 dpi HD resolution and Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 for greater durability. The BlackBerry Classic also offers a large battery capacity and state-of-the-art battery optimization software. With up to 22 hours of battery power, you can be confident that BlackBerry Classic will be ready to deliver results when you need it.**
- Premium Design, Built to Last – The BlackBerry Classic is purpose built and built to last – from the outer frame which is cut from a solid block of stainless steel, to the textured back for better grip. The BlackBerry Classic also includes premium components, including a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB of device storage (expandable by up to 128GB via uSD), and a 2MP front- and 8MP rear-facing camera with enhanced optics and upgraded imaging sensors.
- BlackBerry® 10 OS 10.1 – The BlackBerry Classic comes preloaded with the BlackBerry 10.3.1 operating system, offering a fresh look that incorporates updated icons and an instant action bar so that each user’s most commonly accessed functions are in the center of their screen. With this new operating system, users gain access to powerful features, including:
- BlackBerry® Blend – BlackBerry Blend brings messaging and content that is on your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer and tablet. Get instant message notifications, read and respond to your work and personal email, BBM™ and text messages, and access your documents, calendar, contacts and media in real time on whatever device you are on, powered by your BlackBerry.
- BlackBerry® Assistant – The BlackBerry Assistant is BlackBerry’s first digital assistant and can be used with voice and text commands to help users manage work and personal email, contacts, calendar and other native BlackBerry 10 applications. It’s the only smartphone assistant on the market today that can access both personal and work content in your work perimeter. BlackBerry Assistant intelligently determines how to respond to you based on how you interact with it – if you type, it responds silently, if you speak, it speaks back and if you activate over Bluetooth, it speaks back with additional context because it assumes you might not have access to the screen.
- Dual app storefronts preloaded for access to a hugeselection of apps for work and play:
- BlackBerry World – BlackBerry World offers essential business and productivity apps for professionals looking to drive efficient communications and collaboration including Box, Evernote, Cisco WebEx Meetings and Documents to Go.
- Amazon Appstore – Preloaded on BlackBerry Classic, discover and download popular Android apps and games through the Amazon Appstore including Candy Crush Saga, Pinterest, SoundCloud, Kindle and Amazon Shopping.
- BlackBerry® Hub – The one place to manage all your conversations – email, texts, BBM, phone calls, social media and more. You can even glance at what’s next in your calendar. It’s always available with a single swipe to help you stay organized, in control and on top of all your conversations.
BlackBerry Classic is built on BlackBerry’s renowned secure operating system, with built-in protection against viruses, tampering and data leaks. The BlackBerry Classic is private by default, protecting users with encrypted email, web browsing and BBM.
For more information on the BlackBerry Classic, please visit http://www.BlackBerry.com/Classic.
* Data taken from HTML5TEST.com from January, 2013 to July 22, 2014 and compares the latest builds for this duration for Android, Chrome, Firefox, iOS and Windows.
**Based on GSMA PRD TW.09 Battery Life Measurement Technique and a mixed usage scenario. Many factors affect battery life, including network connectivity, application usage, feature configuration and battery age. Actual results may vary.
We all know there is a high diversity of nationalities living here in the UAE. Some you find more, some less. If somebody would have asked me how many Germans are living here I would have guessed way less than 12000.
The bqdoha Magazine has created a list of the total population and the the different nationalities. Most interesting is that they are extremely good with mentioning the source of their data, which is not really very common here and leads the most times to doubt the information provided.
It is important to note that the UAE National Bureau of Statistics did not publish any demographic data broken down by nationality. Hence all the figures listed in the table below are estimates, however they are provided by the countries on the list – more specifically their respective Embassies in UAE.
|NATIONALS OF||POPULATION||% OF TOTAL POPULATION||YEAR OF DATA|
|Iran*||400,000 – 500,000||4,18% – 5,22%||N/A|
|Malaysia||6,000 – 7,000||0,06% – 0,07%||2015|
|Kazakhstan||5,000 – 6,000||0,05% – 0,06%||2015|
|Denmark||3,000 – 4,000||~0,03%||2015|
|Mexico||3,000 – 3,500||~0,03%||2014|
|Dominican Republic||2,000-3,000||0,02% – 0,03%||2015|
|BIH||1,000 – 2,000||0,01% – 0,02%||2015|
|Senegal||700 – 800||< 0,01%||2015|
|New Zealand||444||< 0,01%||2015|
|Albania||200 – 300||< 0,01%||2015|
|Slovenia||100 – 150||< 0,01%||2015|
|TOTAL (countries on this list)||9,334,504 – 9,439,503|
|TOTAL (official UAE 2010 census)||8,264,070|
|TOTAL (2015 UN estimate)||9,577,000|
If you want to read more about this you can follow the link to bqdoha (LINK)
The General Authority for Regulating the Telecommunications Sector (TRA) has revealed statistics for the fourth quarter of 2014 on the nation’s most popular mobile phone handsets, social networking platforms and applications websites. Investigating the current state of the market, the report reveals the market share of mobile phones in the UAE by manufacturer and model during the period between 1 August 2014 and 31 December 2014.
Most phones registered per brand in the UAE Networks:
- Nokia (40%)
- Samsung (24.3%)
- Apple (11.4%)
- BlackBerry (5%)
- Sony (1.2%)
- HTC (1.2%)
- Lenovo (1.2%)
- Huawai (0.9%)
Considering all the Nokia 101’s out there this is no surprise that they are still on top.
The most specific handset models registered in the UAE in Q4:
- Apple iPhone 5s (4%)
- Nokia 105/1050 (3%)
- Apple iPhone 5 (2.4%)
- Nokia 101/1010 (2.3%)
- Nokia 1280/1282 (2.1 %)
- Samsung S3 (2.1%)
- Nokia E5 (1.9%)
- Apple iPhone 6 (1.7%),
- Apple iPhone 4S (1.6%)
- Nokia X1 (1.5%),
- Samsung S4 LTE (1.5%)
- Samsung Note 3 (1.4%)
- iPhone 4 (1.2%)
- Samsung S5 LTE (1%)
- Samsung S4 (0.8%).
Quite interesting to see that not a single BlackBerry device or Lumia device is in the Top 15. Last quarter saw still the BlackBerry Bold 9900 within the Top 15.
Mark this day in your calender Folks. On March 9th, 2015, all McDonald’s restaurants in the UAE will be giving away 1,000 free Egg McMuffins on a first come- first serve basis, from 6:00am to 10:00am. 1,000 Egg McMuffins will be given away at every store!
McDonald’s UAE is participating together with more than 6000 other Restaurants in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Last year we had been very surprised when we hit a petrol station on National Breakfast Day and got each an Egg McMuffin handed over. This time we will make sure to pass by as well.
National Breakfast Day is held this year the third year already with growing success.